DF – Indonesian Rice w/ Thai Peanut Sauce
I love reading blogs, especially cooking blogs. I browse blogs, click links, browse those blogs and soon I’m lost and don’t remember the original blog I started with. That is how I found this recipe. It seemed interesting but good, so I gave it a shot and ended up being a favorite! So you can go to Keeper of the Home and browse for more great recipes! Here’s the recipe:
Several Tbsp. of oil (olive, butter)
1/2 onion, chopped
2-3 celery stalks, chopped
2-3 carrots, sliced thin
1 green pepper, diced
1/2 cup frozen green peas (I didn’t use)
1/4 head green cabbage, chopped (I didn’t use)
4 cups cooked rice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. soy (Bragg’s, tamari, etc.)
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Saute onion, celery and carrots in oil on medium heat until softened (use a fairly large pot, as this makes quite a bit).
2) Add rice, green pepper, and peas. Cook for 10-15 minutes on low-med heat, stirring occasionally.
3) Add chopped cabbage, as well as seasonings (garlic, soy, salt, pepper).
Thai Peanut Coconut Sauce
(This recipe goes with the above recipe- it is a sauce to go over the rice dish)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup coconut milk (or 1/2 cup coconut cream, thinned with water)
2 Tbsp. lime juice
2 Tbsp. soy sauce (or alternative)
1 1/2 Tbsp. honey
1 tsp. ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes – I didn’t use
1) Over low-med heat, mix peanut butter and coconut milk in a saucepan. Stir until the peanut butter begins to soften and mix well with the coconut.
2) Add all seasonings, and simmer for 5-10 minutes on low. Taste to make sure the sweetness, spiciness, etc. are to your liking and adjust if necessary.